En nombre de Luna, te castigaré. El universo mágico de Sailor Moon

En nombre de Luna, te castigaré. El universo mágico de Sailor Moon - Andrés Argal Sotés I was so happy to find a book about Sailor Moon in my local library, that I read it in one evening. It's not actually that difficult because there's a picture using the space of half the page in almost every page. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Sailor Moon is a very visual story, whether you're considering the manga or the anime, there is something to see.

Unfortunately, this book was a huge disappointment. Most of the book is just a detailed summary of the whole manga/anime and the films, both animation and live action. It includes the openings and endings and it mentions the differences between the manga and the anime, but there is very little extra information. Sure, the author mentions the differences between the manga and the anime, but this is the only information that stops it from being just an extensive summary.

There are also some character files at the end, but they only cover the main good characters. There isn't even a short file about the most important baddies. People who, like me, don't speak Japanese might find it curious to see how the names of these characters fit with their role in the plot. This is really the only useful thing if you've already watched the show. If you haven't, don't read this book, as it will spoil everything.

The only part I found truly worthwhile is how the book starts with an explanation of anime and manga in Spain and how their situation was in the 90s. This is interesting because access to Japanese media and merchandising has changed a lot since every person got internet at home. This chapter isn't very long and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about the 90s. The information isn't overly detailed, but it paints a very clear picture of how people watched anime.

I have read other encyclopaedia-like books about tv series (Lost, X-Files, Doctor Who, Harry Potter) and they all had something that made them worth reading. Some had all the complicated details of the characters and their relationships in one single place. Others, some essays and articles that went beyond the plot, such as how the series fit within the genre at the time or how it changed the genre. Unfortunately, this was not the case of this book. En nombre de Luna, te castigaré - El universo mágico de Sailor Moon doesn't have enough extra information to make it a great read for fans of Sailor Moon unless all they're looking for is an episode guide and a summary of what happened in the series.

This book suggests that there will be a second volume, as it's called Vol. 1, so maybe that second volume will have all the things that I missed reading in this one.

Note: As far as I know, this book only exists in Spanish.